Tuesday 18 January 2011

What next?

I arrived at around 7.05 and could hear a Tawny Owl as I got out of the car, as ever I was accompanied by waking Blackbirds, Robins and Wrens as I made my way, first to the Granary where the National Trust have put a chalkboard up to inform visitors about recent wildlife sightings, I added a couple of bits then continued on to the lake, it was actually pretty quiet 3 Moorhens, 1 Siskin over a Bullfinch called and several Redwings and Fieldfares were heading out to feed. I made my way back towards the car park when I noticed a raptor being mobbed by a crow, MARSH HARRIER (69), I've only had a handful of records over the years and never in the winter. It looked like it had come up from the lake area, so I could have easily walked passed it when it was roosting!! Now I'm thinking will it roost there again tonight? Maybe I'm using all my luck up early this year!

3 comments:

Warren Baker said...

Excellent Harrier sighting Alan, most exciting!!

Like you ive had very few Marsh harrier records, all in late Autumn :-) Nice one

Phil said...

Very nice sighting Alan, hope it's back tonight!

Alan Pavey said...

Hi,

I was really surprised and wonder where it came from, the closest I've had before was a Hen Harrier in late November many years ago, otherwise September is usually when I'm keeping more of an eye out.

Cheers Al