Thursday 20 January 2011

Jan 20th.

The cloud at first light meant that it stayed fairly murky for a large percentage of the visit, so for the first half hour I was listening much more than watching. The number of singing Song Thrushes has risen during the week with around 6 birds singing away this morning. I missed out the lake and walked round the fields, the first bit of activity was by the stream where small groups of Siskin were coming in to feed on the Alders, also here were at least 2 Yellowhammers were calling from the scrubby area on the corner of the stream and 4 Bullfinch were in the hedge that runs up the hill towards the castle. A few more finches started to appear in the skies and included 7 Linnets, 1 Goldfinch and several Chaffinch. A Goldcrest was in the hedge below the vegetable garden, where yesterday afternoon Stephen found 2 Waxwings feeding on rosehips, he also had the Jack Snipe again yesterday. I arrived back at the car park and met Stephen, as we chatted a Peregrine flew north west over the car park, after saying we don't see that many, 3 sightings in less than a month is a good return. After I left Stephen added Greylag Goose to this years site total, when 5 birds flew east.

2 comments:

Warren Baker said...

Much the same here Alan - but without Waxwing and Jack Snipe of course :-) 70 species for january is a well good total, 68 is my best for the ten years.

Alan Pavey said...

Hi Warren, I'm really pleased with a site total of 70, I've been realy fortunate with some birds I wouldn't have expected, normally low to mid 60's is more usual. I still think you'll get more boefore the end of the month
:-)