Monday 10 January 2011

Late afternoon 9th Jan.

Part of the Gull flock.
                                                            
This was taken Saturday after the blow and shows some of the view
                             

After watching Liverpool get beaten, I decided to console myself with a visit to the patch. Again thrushes were the most prevalent as I walked across the car park. On the edge of one the flocks going over was a Snipe, any wader type bird here is always noteworthy! 5 Linnets wheeled around the vegetable garden and a Sparrowhawk flew through. Once again I positioned myself to take in the view across the valley to see what might be heading to roost, I don't do this alot and had forgotten how many gulls passover in the winter on their way maybe to Bewl Water?? A few small mixed flocks of Black heads and Common started heading over soon after I arrived and were followed by a couple of flocks of over 100 then one flock over 200, in all 500+ Gulls headed west in less than half an hour! probably 90% Common, also during this time larger gulls were heading south? around 25 Herring and 8 Great Black Backed, the latter the most I've seen here in one flock, a Goldcrest called on and off from behind me as I watched the gulls. A total of 41 species were recorded in a little over an hour. I had a text from Stephen on Saturday to say he possibly had 2 Ravens over and was 90% sure, so I'll keep an eye out, he also had two Little Owls duetting this morning (9th).

No comments: