Tuesday 18 October 2011

Oct. 18th

For some reason I decided to record the moths this morning after being woken by heavy rain and strong winds about 4am. It wasn't quite the washout I thought it might be, 33 moths of 15 species were recorded. Dark Swordgrass was the only migrant, other moths included Angle Shades,Shuttle Shaped Dart and 1 November Moth.
Out of the darkness around 6.50 this morning a GOLDEN PLOVER (111) called twice, from the direction of the calls it was flying south, I normally get one or two records a year. This one was very welcome taking me passed my previous best total for the year. After the Plover there wasn't a lot to add, 5 BLACK HEADED GULLS flew north as did 20 HERRING GULLS, the only winter thrush was one FIELDFARE, west, there were also singles of MEADOW PIPIT and KESTREL. The large LINNET flock remains and 2 CHIFFCHAFFS are still hanging on. I couldn't find any Redpoll flocks settled this morning, though several birds were heard throughout the visit.

3 comments:

Greenie said...

Alan ,
Congratulations on reaching your 111 , quite an achievement , and time to better too .
Re. your Greater Knapweed on the previous post , would suggest Black Knapweed , especially from the leaves .

Warren Baker said...

Well done Alan, GP's are just as scarce here, with one or two flying over most years.

Alan Pavey said...

Hi Greenie, Thanks, there is a chance for something else, fingers crossed!

Thanks for the Knapweed ID, still loads and loads to learn :-)

Hi Warren, Cheers, I think I had a flock of 9 last year and a single bird the year before, I'm glad one decided to grace the patch again this year,