Thursday 13 October 2011

Oct. 13th

Another morning of slim pickings on the moth front apart from 2 Vestals which saved the day, as we have only recorded these on a couple of other occasions. Otherwise it was manily one each again of a few of our commoner moths, Merveille Du Jour, Feathered Thorn etc...
Feathered Thorn

My birding walk today wasn't really much of a walk! I skirted the outer edges of the car park then stood in the overflow car park for the remainder of my visit. I was happy with 36 species in 50 minutes! The main reason for standing still was that there were several REDWINGS going over, 229 in total for the short time I was there. As well as these, the other highlights were, 1 BRAMBLING, 1 FIELDFARE, 43 CHAFFINCH, 30+ SISKIN, 20+ REDPOLL, 18 SKYLARK, 5 HERRING GULL, 1 GREY HERON, 1 COMMON GULL, 9 GOLDFINCH, 2 CHIFFCHAFF, 1 BLACKCAP and the LITTLE OWL called from Park Field, oh yes, and I think there was a partridge in there somewhere!!! Anyway it was a really enjoyable start to the day, Brambling being a real bonus as I haven't heard of too many in the county as yet, it gave it's buzzy call and I picked it up on the edge of a 15 strong Chaffinch flock. The bird species total for the month stands at 57. Unfortunately the light never got above a murky grey and the birds were no more than silhouettes in the lens.

3 comments:

Warren Baker said...

Brambling is an excellent find Alan, I don't often get many records of them before Xmas.

alan woodcock said...

Hi,nice movement,only wish I could hear as well as you youngsters.

Alan Pavey said...

Hi Warren, It was a nice surprise, there were quite a few Bramblings around the coast.

Hi Alan, it was a good movement, lovely to watch.