Sunday 30 October 2011

30th October

A walk from 8.40-11am produced 45 species, it was particularly warm and pretty grey with occasional fine drizzle. Leaving the car, a couple of MISTLE THRUSHES called and stopped off in one of the car park hedges, a GOLDCREST was busy feeding nearby. A few BLACKBIRDand FIELDFARES were also in the car park but I couldn't turn anything into a Ring Ouzel!! I headed towards Park Field and found a BLACKCAP on the way, Park Field held JAY and GREEN WOODPECKER, also 2 GREENFINCHES flew over, the first for a while. 5 REDWINGS flew over the wood just before I entered it. In the wood there were a couple of TREECREEPER and a couple of COAL TITS, SISKINS and REDPOLLS were heard throughout the morning. As I left the wood I caught sight of a BUZZARD being mobbed by a crow, it appeared quite long tailed but was too far away for me clinch anything other than a strange Buzzard?? I bumped into Stephen a bit later, he had also seen possibly the same Buzzard earlier in the week. We decided to take a look across the valley for a while, there were very good numbers of SKYLARKS and PIPITS but raptors were hard to find, with just one KESTREL being seen. A distant CORMORANT was the only other bird of note to be seen from our viewpoint. With a little more light in the morning, hopefully there will be more to find especially after the news of an inland Eastern Crowned Warbler today in Hertfordshire who knows!! ;-)

5 comments:

Phil said...

Still a nice mix of birds being seen on your patch Alan. Like you I would welcome finding something a bit more exotic, especially having missed a GW Egret at New Hythe yesterday:-(

Warren Baker said...

Your patch is yielding much the same as mine at the moment Alan - Its nice to be in good company!

alan woodcock said...

Hi,with all these good birds turning up in nets,how many more must be out there?.

Greenie said...

Alan ,
A very reasonably count on your visit . Frustrating when you just get a glimpse or a distant view of a good bird isn't it ?
I certainly wouldn't know an ECW if I found one .

Alan Pavey said...

Hi Phil, There is still plenty to see and I'm always optimistic that something different will turn up!! Unlucky with GWE, let's hope it comes back :-)

Hi Warren, we are nearly at the stage where it is getting more predictable for a while but hopefully there a surprise or two left this year :-)

Hi Alan, loads more I reckon it's just a matter of a bit of luck??

Hi Greenie, I was pleased with the count. I have a feeling the buzzard was a late Honey Buzzard but some poor pics might not be good enough to tell. I think it would be case of knowing it was something different, but after that??