Thursday 14 April 2011

April 14th

Another morning that felt slightly milder than the last, it was still fairly grey with a blurry bright spot (a bit like some of my photos!) where the sun was thinking about coming through the thin cloud. A JAY announced itself as it flew from a nearby tree, I heard a SKYLARK quite early in the walk today as there seems to be a pair not far from the car park, the first of 3 BULLFINCH called as I made my way towards the veg garden, there always is a reasonable amount of activity here, a PIED WAGTAIL dropped on to a newly rotivated area where several LINNETS were coming and going, there was also a STOCK DOVE in the company of a couple Woodpigeons, round the edges of the garden were HOUSE SPARROWS, DUNNOCK, ROBIN a couple of GOLDFINCHES and half a dozen STARLINGS, certainly enough movement to keep me entertained. The first of several LESSER BLACK BACKED GULLS flew north west as I headed towards the lake, where 7 GREYLAGS were in attendance, I thought the COOT had moved on but it called from the reeds as I took the track into the wood.
This Heron flew low over the wood

The first bird in the wood was a calling MARSH TIT which showed well briefly, NUTHATCH and TREECREEPER were also heard. Into the fields and I met up with Charles another local birder, who has got a busy time surveying coming up, we picked up a flock of 23 HERRING GULLS heading south east and a WHITETHROAT that sang by the stream also a couple of YELLOWHAMMERS were in their favoured hedge. The first single SWALLOW of the morning made it's way north east and back up at the veg garden 4 CANADA GEESE came through low.
This Great Tit posed briefly on the hedge yesterday

2 comments:

ShySongbird said...

Lovely photo of the Great Tit, a real poser :)

You saw a good amount of birds again! Sissinghurst certainly is a rewarding, as well as beautiful, patch to have.

Alan Pavey said...

Hi ShySongbird, Thank you, I'm still struggling with clarity, hopefully it will come in time. I keep meaning to say I really like the Chaffinch on your header, fantastic!

There is certainly always alot to see :-)