Thursday 11 August 2011

August 11th

This morning was a bit grey with with a wind from the west that was more a nuisance than a discomfort. There was a CHIFFCHAFF and a LITTLE OWL of note in the car park and I left there with less than 10 species, which is particularly low. All in all it was a bit of a quiet morning with only ones and twos of most birds that were recorded, NUTHATCH (1), SPOT. FLY (1), BLACKCAP (1), BULLFINCH (1), GREEN WOODPECKER (2!, heard only though) and so the list goes on. There were a couple of high points though, I was pleased to see a SPARROWHAWK drift by, although they are always here, I still enjoy seeing them. A LITTLE EGRET was on the move, high south, which was the first this month as was a single MISTLE THRUSH, which I was sure I must have seen already but apparently not. The only other birds on the move were a single LESSER BLACK BACKED GULL, 9 HERRING GULLS and I found just one WILLOW WARBLER. After yesterdays trigger happy day with the camera, today was a bit of a non event, there's always tomorrow :-)

2 comments:

Warren Baker said...

Much the same here Alan, we have to take the rough with the smooth though mate :-)

Alan Pavey said...

Hi Warren, I'm with you there, I think when you patch watch you do get used to days with not much different happening, then sudden bursts of activity, it's all good. :-)