Saturday 12 February 2011

TTV and patch

It was still a little drizzly when I started my last TTV, just along the road at Knoxbridge on the way to Staplehurst, the November visit had been very productive, probably the highlight today for me was a flock of 20 Pied Wagtails, there was a good selection of species in general good numbers of Starling, Fieldfare, Redwing and a large flock of Black Headed Gulls, there were 4 Yellowhammers with 2 Reed Buntings and a flock 4 Siskin flew over. The total for the TTV this morning was 43 species.

One of four Yellowhammers

Back at the patch for a quick look round and the Fieldfares were numerous this morning, there were also 9 Blackbirds all taking up various positions along one of the thick hedges. A flock of 4 Goldfinches were around the veg garden. Down at the lake a Kestrel was perched in an Oak and a few Long Tailed Tits and Treecreepers were in some Willows. I finally tracked down a small flock of Redpolls which turned out to be all Lessers but there is still time to find the elusive Mealy.
A splash of colour

Just a spalsh!
Overall it felt as though it was a quiet day today, I did add Yellowhammer, Marsh Tit, Bullfinch and Skylark before I made my way home, I'll try again tomorrow all being well.

4 comments:

Simon said...

Nice birds today Alan, well done with catching up with the Mealy!

Warren Baker said...

Good effort with the TTV Alan well done :-)
As for tomorrow, dont get too excited !

Phil and Mandy said...

as above Alan. I see you do Moth Trapping, I have just purchased a moth trap and am going to try it.

Alan Pavey said...

Hi,

I quite enjoyed doing the TTV and Warren you were right not to get too excited:-)

Good luck with the Moth Trap Phil, I started only 18 months ago and trap at the castle and at home, so far we have had 411 species at the castle, maybe we can coincide a walk with looking at some moths as well if fancy it?

Cheers

Al