Sunday 13 February 2011

Breif visit

In inclement weather I did eventually venture out, still looking for a Mealy Redpoll or a Lesser Spotted Wood, unsurprisingly I didn't find them but I did have a good views of a couple of Marsh Tits and Coal Tits again. I heard 1 Redpoll and numerous Nuthatches. There was a mixed flock of Rooks and Jackdaws in Park field, probably 70-80 birds in all, the most for sometime. I had a look for the Firecrest but there was no sign of it, however a Goldcrest was busy nearby and my first Buzzard this week gave good views at the bottom of Whitegate farm, now owned by the National Trust. Finally a largish flock of about 50 Chaffinches were in the orchard on the way home.

3 comments:

Rachel J said...

Listened to a chaffinch singing this morning, first one this year for the garden. They're not regular visitors to our garden so a nice start to the day.

Marc Heath said...

'Numerous' Nuthatches. That would be a welcome sight and sound in the Stour Valley. Only ever recorded one in 13 years there.... and that was only heard!

Alan Pavey said...

Hi,

That is a nice start to the day Rach, hope he hangs around.

That's surprising Marc, although there isn't much woodland really I suppose, it would be nice to swap a stretch of Stour Valley water for a little piece of our ancient woodland.