Friday 11 February 2011

Always optimistic!

Despite the persistence of what seems to be never ending grey mornings(one day of sunshine soon forgotten!), I always think I'll have a special encounter when I head out for a walk, ok, so today wasn't one of those days!! We did put the moth trap on again last night and added Satellite our newly emerging year list, with 5 of the species from yesterday also present.
The walk was generally damp, some reeds had been cleared from the top lake, where there was still no sign of a Coot or Little Grebe as yet, there was a good Tit flock and a couple of Marsh Tits were very vocal and the Blue Tits had the lake surrounded. Nuthatch and Treecreeper were also round the lake and a lone Siskin flying over was the only one seen today. I couldn't see far across the fields but I could still hear the Skylark out there somewhere, the Fieldfares and Redwings were trying a different field today in a mixed flock of maybe 100 or so. Even though there were no outstanding encounters, it was good to be out looking.

2 comments:

Warren Baker said...

I was optimistic ths afternoon Alan, even took my camera out, soon faded though :-)

I was looking for a coot too!

Alan Pavey said...

Hi Warren,

I love the way birds take on a whole different status depending where we are. We can start the optimism thing again when we're out next, hopefully in the morning for me :-)

Cheers
Al