Monday 30 May 2011

May 18th (very late!!!)

I skirted the edge of the patch today for about 20minutes, after doing a quick bit of survey work for the BTO. I was pleased to hear TURTLE DOVE and young woodpeckers as I got out of the car. There were a few CARRION CROWS and PHEASANTS in the fields. I saw 1 YELLOWHAMMER only, as it landed on a dead branch in an Oak tree. Several SKYLARKS were singing and 2 CANADA GEESE flew into the area and out again in a wide arc. The highlight was probably a male CUCKOO that headed west singing as it went. I did see some more of the Alabonia Geoffrella micro moth and attempted a couple of shots not great but hopefully it gives an idea of it's intricate markings. Apologies for the lateness of this post I wrote it just before I went away but didn't get time to upload the photo before I left, normal service will resume shortly including a couple of posts about the trip to Morocco I have just come back from. All the best.
Alabonia Geoffrella

4 comments:

Greenie said...

Alan ,
Better late than never .
Look forward to hearing about your trip .

Adam said...

Hi Alan

Heard a Hoopoe was seen in Frittenden on Friday evening - no doubt the long-staying, but ever elusive Sissinghurst bird!

Cheers

Adam

ShySongbird said...

Yes, a nicely marked moth.

Good to have you back Alan! Morocco!! That must have been quite something :)

Alan Pavey said...

Hi Greenie, It was a great trip hope I don't waffle too much!!!

Hi Adam, I heard that to, I'll be keeping an eye along the lane :-)

Hi ShySongbird, Thanks, I hope I can make the trip sound as interesting as it actually was!!