Tuesday 17 May 2011

May 17th

The breeze was cool this morning and there were very few birds singing around the car park, it was generally quiet. There was only 1 SWALLOW and no House Martins. 2 LINNETS, 2 GOLDFINCHES and a CHAFFINCH were feeding in the veg. garden. The 2 SPOTTED FLYCATCHERS were again noisy and the GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER was seen carrying food a couple of times. I wasn't really sure where to head this morning but I found myself by the lake drawn by lots of activity round the Holly tree, there were a few GREAT TITS but mainly LONG-TAILED TITS possibly 10-12 which were mostly young birds, I stood for quite some time watching them being fed and exploring the tree, in fact I stood there so long I didn't have much time to check round anywhere else!!

(Click for larger image)

The GREYLAGS were flying around over the wood and then dropping onto the lake and a GARDEN WARBLER sang now and then from next to the boardwalk. As I made my way back a male BULLFINCH landed on a Wisteria in full bloom it would have made a great picture unfortunately I was too far away. I came across a NUTHATCH by the lake and a GOLDCREST but a last scan over the valley produced only a few WOODPIGEONS and STOCK DOVES. Sorry I've gone overboard with the picture size!


5 comments:

Warren Baker said...

Still a few bits and pieces going on there Alan, I've not seen a Nuthatch for a couple of weeks now.

Phil said...

That's one of the best Robin shots i've seen Alan, nice one!

Ken. said...

Hi Alan. I agree with Phil.Your Robin photo is terrific.
Always nice to see Flycatchers.

ShySongbird said...

WOW!! Stunning photo of the Robin Alan, brilliant :) As Phil says, it is one of the best I have ever seen! Lovely one of the LTT too. It must have been entertaining watching them.

So glad I caught this post, I was afraid I would miss out having only been able to get to the computer briefly in the last two day.

Alan Pavey said...

Hi Warren, There are still a few bits about, I think I'll just be looking for young birds and trying to find what has been successful over the next few weeks :-)

Hi Phil, Thanks , I hope it's not just a fluke!!

Hi Ken, Thanks, it is nice to have the flycatchers about hopefully we'll get more than one pair this year.

Hi ShySongbird, Thank you, it was great watching the LTT'S, sorry I haven't replied earlier, I've been in Morocco and from work blogger wasn't playing ball on Friday when I got back.