Monday 19 December 2011

December 19th

A nice chilly morning!! with some lovely colours in the sky at first which soon faded. As with most patch watchers, although always optimistic, I'm not really expecting to add anything else to the year list but will be checking out where everything is for the start of 2012.

This morning I headed to the lake to see if the Water Rail was anywhere to be seen, it didn't appear and the lake was 90% frozen, just half dozen MALLARD sat on it, quacking away to each other, probably talking about the weather!! A MOORHEN was in the field above the lake and 2 GREEN WOODPECKER flew towards the garden. In the garden itself I counted 15 BLACKBIRDS feeding under, or in, various apple trees, among these were one or two FIELDFARE and a MISTLE THRUSH. BLACK HEADED GULLS are still being attracted the most recently sown field, which is now flushed with green shoots, around 10 birds were there, with more coming in from the south west as I continued my walk.

There was a nice flock of LONG TAILED TITS by the offices, with two or three BLUE TITS and a TREECREEPER, REDPOLL and SISKIN also called as they flew over. A BULLFINCH posed ever so briefly in the bright sunlight as I was heading back to the car but again eluded the camera. Another small flock of birds consisted of several GREAT TITS, CHAFFINCH and several BLUE TITS and 5 REDPOLLS stopped off in the top of a Silver Birch, one of them looking a bit frosty with a big white wing bar, I didn't see the rump, so I'm not claiming Common Redpoll yet but hopefully it might just be a matter of time :-)

8 comments:

Marc Heath said...

Very Nice dawn shot, those colours are fab. I have found myself taking more of these shots in the last few days as well.

Ornitocampero.blogspot.com.es said...

Really nice landscapes of your local patch...it seems a place with many posiblities.....I look forward of seeing the bullfinch photo in a future entrance.....I love that bird.
Saludos!

Unknown said...

Alan, bonitas fotos. Precioso atardecer. Saludos!!

Tammy said...

Beautiful scenery!!! Sure looks chilly.

Alan Pavey said...

Hi Marc, thanks, I do have a soft spot for sky photos in general and as you say there have been some great colours recently, I look forward to seeing more of your shots :-)

Hi El Campero, thank you, I'm always optimistic and hopefully I'll catch up with one of those Bullfinches soon! Saludos!

Hi Ramon, thank you, the sky had lots going on in it today :-)

Hi Tammy, I think I'm lucky with what is on my doorstep, I always enjoy my morning walk. My feet didn't warm up all day!!!

Warren Baker said...

Hi Alan,
You might just squeeze out another year tick yet, :-) I'm still hoping for something to flyover, Egytian Goose or a Ring Necked Parakeet - quality birds!!!!!!!

Ken. said...

Hi Alan.
Always look on the bright side of life, you never know what might turn up, there is still time.
Nice photo of the round house? by the river.

Alan Pavey said...

Hi Warren, I'm glad you are still optimistic and either of the birds you mention would be new for my patch!!?? :-)

Hi Ken, you are right, I will be out there hoping for another bit of luck!!