Saturday 3 December 2011

Back on the patch... at last!

It was only a quick visit but I had an hours walk late morning this morning, it was nice to be out, that's for sure. I managed 33 species, nothing amazingly outstanding but that didn't matter. A few CHAFFINCH and GREENFINCH were in the car park with a mix of REDWING, FIELDFARE and BLACKBIRD.

Fieldfare

A couple of BLACK HEADED GULLS went over to join 22 that were quartering the only field that has been sown so far. There was just one REDPOLL near the barn and 5 MAGPIES were in the field below the Granary. A BULLFINCH called from the hedge below the veg garden and a COMMON BUZZARD drifted over as I tried to locate the Bullfinch.



I heard a couple of YELLOWHAMMERS and REED BUNTING as wandered the fields. The pond is now finished and has two big 'puddles' in it, which is an encouraging start, I didn't take any photos of the finished article as I only had the long lens with me, hopefully I'll take some tomorrow. I added MEADOW PIPIT, SKYLARK, GREEN WOODPECKER, GOLDFINCH and HERRING GULL before heading home.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Smart Fieldfare shots, Alan.

Alan Pavey said...

Hi Dean, thanks, we've got a small flock roosting in the car park mixed with a few Redwing.

Millhouse Photography said...

I've still never seen a Green Woodpecker Alan, it's one of those that's still on my list. Good to see you back on the patch mate. You've done well to get shots because it looks a little gloomy out your way - as it is here, of course!

Warren Baker said...

You did better on the photography front than me toady Alan, just not many birds around here - not close ones anyway ;-)

Soon be into the new year, always exciting :-)

Greenie said...

Alan ,
Was beginning to think you had gone into hibernation .
Great in flight shots , well done .

Alan Pavey said...

Hi Christian,thanks, it was a struggle with the camera but there were just a few breaks in the cloud. We are lucky with Green Woodies here but they can be difficult to get pictures of!!

Hi Warren, thanks, it was great to be out the pics were an unexpected bonus :-)

Hi Greenie, thanks, unfortunately my workload got a bit heavy :-( It's nice to be able get something on the blog :-)

- Yvonaut -
Das sind Raphael und Yvonne
said...

Very nice pictures! These are beautiful birds!
We just had a green woodpecker in our garden. It was jumping around on the ground. But it was raining and to dark to take pictures..

Have a nice weekend
Yvonne & Raphael

Alan Pavey said...

Hi Yvonne and Raphael, Thank you, it's a shame it was too dark for the Green Woodpecker pictures, it's often hard to get close to them.
I hope you both have a great weekend too :-)