Sunday 17 November 2013

More Crossbills

A beautiful morning yesterday (Saturday 16th) saw me heading to Hemsted Forest for only the 4th time, in recent weeks, hoping to get a few pics of either the Two-barred Crossbill or a maybe a Parrot Crossbill. On my own for the first few minutes I enjoyed brief views of a 1st year male PARROT CROSSBILL and managed a couple of quick photos. It flew before the first birders arrived. A young PEREGRINE came and landed on the edge of the clearing and with no Crossbills for a short time I headed over to get a couple of shots, before reaching the Peregrine a dozen or so Crossbills flew almost over my head and landed in the favoured Oak. One slightly buzzy call drew my attention and there was the TWO BARRED CROSSBILL, I took more shots but was really the wrong side of the tree but did have some excellent views of the bird, I didn't really check the other Crossbills much as I was enjoying views of the Two Barred, I went back and joined the few gathered birders and found that at least one Parrot was also in that small group. The Crossbills put in several appearances in my two and a half hour visit giving flight views and different calls to try and decipher. Here are a few pics from the visit.
Early Parrot Crossbill

Two Barred and Common Crossbill




A couple more of the Two barred

Three species of Crossbill together


Three species together again

Not sure what's happening to Blogger this picture doesn't want to appear at the end of the blog as intended!!

Last Parrot of the morning for me

After visiting Hemsted, a quick walk round the patch at Sissinghurst didn't really produce a lot but 3 COMMON BUZZARDS were nice and one came close enough for a pic.
This morning was very grey and drizzly but it was brightened by the appearance of my first FIRECREST (103) of the year excellent, there were around 200 BLACK HEADED GULLS in the field s but despite a long search I couldn't find any Meds. I'm hoping for a clearer morning in the week and hopefully relocate the Firecrest for a couple of pictures.









8 comments:

Warren Baker said...

3 Crossbill species in the same frame, then a Firecrest on patch! Cant get much better than that Alan :-)

Marc Heath said...

I remember the Oak well. Days like these are hard to beat and probably in Kent might be a few years until the next invasion.

Fleetwood Bird Observatory said...

An educational selection of Crossbill pictures there Alan; really enjoyed them!

Cheers,

Seumus

Ana Mínguez Corella said...

Nice pictures. fantastic bird.. Congrats..

Greenie said...

Alan ,
Brilliant shot of the three Crossbill species and some very nice 'Parrots' .
Might have to pay another visit before they leave .

Lou Mary said...

Amazing! I've seen common crossbills but to see three different species and get the all in one photo is pretty special! Topped off with a firecrest - super!

Noushka said...

On my side, I have had problems with Blogger's gadget, I don't know what is going right now with this platform!...
Fantastic viewing of these Crossbills!
That is one species I never get to see in the south of France where I live.
Well done!

Helma said...

Beautifully these crossbills Alan
I unfortunately she never had for my lens but maybe once a time in the future . You know they shoot . Quite nice at least Buzzard that you did not actually make . Blogger with the last state
Greetings, Helma